I took a creative spin making keto german chocolate brownies, using PBH foods Fudge Brownie Mix. I’m more of a brownie person, so I opted for brownies instead of cake when taking on this classic cake! This brownie is sugar free, deliciously decadent with deep chocolate flavors and a flaky pecan and coconut caramel frosting. Seriously so easy and so good. If you’re a fan of chocolate and coconut try out my Keto Chocolate Coconut Cream Tart!
History of German Chocolate Cake
This cake did not originate in Germany, it’s an American recipe created in 1957 by a Texas homemaker, Mrs. George Clay using German’s Sweet Chocolate. In 1852 Samuel German created a new type of dark baking chocolate which incorporated more sugar than the average semi-sweet baking chocolate now named Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate. This cake recipe called for that sweeter dark chocolate.
Ingredients for Keto German Chocolate Brownie
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 60 min
For The Brownies
1/3 cup butter
1 package PBH Foods Fudge Brownie Mix
For The Icing:
1 cup of heavy cream
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup of brown Swerve
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup pecans
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup dried coconut
There will be frosting left over! I freezed mine and used it for another batch!
Per 1 slice:
6g Net Carbs
23g Total Carbs
(possibly less as only half of the frosting was used)
Instructions for Keto German Chocolate Brownies
- Heat oven to 350 ºF. Prep and measure all of your ingredients. Grease a 8-inch square pan with butter. Set aside.
- Place butter, eggs and Brownie mix into a bowl and mix until smooth. Transfer to baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center. Bake for 25 for a more fudge like brownie. Remove from oven when done and set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the heavy cream, butter, egg yolks, swerve and salt. Stir constantly until bubbling and lightly browned like a caramel. It should be thick and hold shape but still runny like icing.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in coconut and pecans. Set aside to cool.
- Pour over the cooled brownie and let icing set. Slice and serve.