Check out a super low carb, keto-friendly slider dish: Keto Corned Beef & Cabbage Sliders! Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Made with your standard corned beef from the grocery, cooked low and slow for 3-4 hours! This is the first time I’ve made my own hamburger buns! To be honest, next time I’d make my burger buns a little smaller, but one roll was 9 net carbs! This was made with King Arthur Keto Wheat Flour! Adapted from their keto bread recipe. Here is my version which is a little different from the original.
Why Corned Beef & Cabbage?
Corned beef and cabbage isn’t actually the national dish of Ireland. You wouldn’t eat it on St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin, but here in the U.S. corned beef and cabbage has become synonymous with the Irish.
During the Irish immigration to the U.S., Irish-Americans looked for comforting homeland flavors. On St. Paddy’s Day that meant boiled bacon, but it was too expensive so they turned to the cheapest cut of meat: beef brisket. Because New York City was a melting pot of cultures they adopted brining; a technique of the Eastern Europeans, where the “corned” refers to the corn-sized salt crystals used during the brining process. It was then paired with cabbage, because it was also the cheapest vegetables available to the Irish immigrants.
Ingredients for Keto Corned Beef & Cabbage Sliders
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 4 hours
For The Buns
6 rolls of Keto Buns
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp poppy seeds
For The Corned Beef:
10 oz fresh corned beef (with seasoning)
For the Cabbage:
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 tbsp brown swerve sweetener
1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
salt & pepper
1/4 cup water
For the Russian Dressing:
2 tbsp mayo (I like Primal Kitchen’s with Avocado)
1 tbsp worcestershire
1 tbsp keto ketchup
1/2 tsp horseradish
Add (optional) 3 Kerrygold Irish Cheddar Cheese slices
Per 1 serving:
12g Net Carbs
24g Total Carbs
- Put your corned beef in a crockpot, cover with water and add the spice packet. Cook for 3 hours on high, or 5 hours on low.
- You can make your russian dressing and cabbage 30 minutes before the beef is done.
- For the cabbage, in a large pot cook the fresh chopped cabbage with water and braise until tender and browned. Add brown swerve sweetener and ACV and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- For the russian dressing, mix together the mayo, worcestershire, keto ketchup, and horseradish and set aside.
- When corned beef is tender, remove and chop into small pieces that would fit in a burger bun.
- Now you can assemble. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put a smear of the russian dressing on the top and bottom bun. add the corned beef, cabbage, and half a slice of cheese. Top with the top bun and spread melted butter and sprinkle poppy seeds.
- Put in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Enjoy!