I am a sucker for these keto blue cheese leeks with a bacon crumble. 1 hour to make, but most of it is just cooking time. The leeks cook in a yummy cream & blue cheese sauce and halfway get a crumbly topping of bacon and rosemary. Such a tasty and decadent side to any dish. I served with my keto air fryer roast beef. Even Seth said it was his favorite meal I’ve ever made.
History of Blue Cheese
The legend of the blue cheese goes back to the 7th century to a cave outside Roquefort, France. Legend has it a shepherd forgot his lunch in the cave. When he returned, the cheese had become infested with penicillium roqueforti, a mold that was growing in the cave. Today this natural mold has been refined and almost all blue cheeses are made by adding this mold culture to the cheese milk.
Ingredients for Keto Blue Cheese Leeks with a Bacon Crumble
PREP TIME: 15 min
COOK TIME: 1 hr
2 leeks washed and cut diagonally into 6cm pieces
2 oz blue cheese
1/4 cup cream
Russian mustard 1 tbsp
4 strips bacon diced
rosemary 2 sprigs, finely chopped
dried chilli flakes a pinch
½ cup almond flour
Per 1 serving
6g Net Carbs
8g Total Carbs
2 Glycemic Load
Instructions for Keto Blue Cheese Leeks with a Bacon Crumble
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Put the leeks into a baking dish, set aside.
- Mix the crumbled blue cheese, double cream and mustard in a bowl with a little salt and lots of black pepper.
- Pour over the leeks, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes until the leeks are very soft.
- Put the bacon into a frying pan then fry until browned. Add the rosemary and chilli flakes, and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the ¼ cup almond flour in a bowl, add bacon mixture with fat, mix well, and add the remaining ¼ cup almond flour. Set aside.
- Remove the foil from the leeks and cover evenly with the breadcrumbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Return to the oven for 30 minutes. If you want the crumble more toasty, broil for 3-5 minutes. Enjoy!