I was trying to figure out a way to make bao buns keto and I thought of it! I took a recipe for keto cloud bread and I shaped them as long ovals and rolled / folded them to become the buns. They worked out perfect! I am beyond excited to share this recipe with you! So tasty!
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 2 hours 40 minutes
TEMPERATURE: 300º F
RECIPE YIELDS: 6 bao buns
400g Pork Belly (boiled)
3 large eggs
2 oz cream cheese
¼ tsp Cream Of Tartar
1 tbsp Brown Sugar Swerve
1 tbsp minced Garlic
1 tsp Rice Vinegar
1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
1 sliced chili pepper
¼ cup sliced Green Onions
cilantro as garnish
per 1 pork belly bao:
2g Net Carbs
2g Total Carbs
- Fill a large pot with water and salt, bring to a boil and add pork belly. Simmer your pork belly for two hours. You can can pre-boil this and start with step 2.
- Drain and slice your pork belly into small pieces (size to fit your buns). Let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 300° F and line a large baking sheets (I used three) with parchment paper.
- Prep all ingredients and separate egg whites from yolks.
- In a standing mixer, add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt and beat until stiff peaks from, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Warm cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds until smooth. Let cool. Then whisk the egg yolks and cream cheese until combined. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Divide mixture into 6 oval mounds two on each prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- As the bao buns are baking, you can start frying the pork belly. Fry in a pan with a little oil until browned and crispy.
- Make the sauce in a bowl, by mixing together the minced ginger, brown sugar, minced garlic, coconut aminos, and chinese five spice. Pour into the pan with pork belly and bring to the boil until dark and sticky. Set aside.
- Take out your buns and let cool 5 minutes, then you will start assembling the bao! Take a roller and roll and “curl” in the middle of the bun to create the bun pocket. Fill with pork belly, cilantro, green onions, chili peppers and top with sesame seeds!